We had a very relaxing day today! We slept in a little, then headed to The Silk Market. It was within walking distance from our hotel, so we ventured out by ourselves. (Us and the Furber Family) Our guide told us if we were going to buy anything to at least barter with them and get it for 70% off. As soon as we walked through the doors people started asking us to come and look at their things. They started reducing their prices before we were even interested in anything. We would walk by and the sales people would say "Hey, beautiful lady, would you like to buy a T-shirt....?" We thought that was quite funny. At one place I inquired about the price of a little silk dress and the women told me that price wasn't important. I walked away and she grabbed me by the arm and started showing me prices on her calculator. I kept walking away and the price kept dropping! Very funny, but she was pretty upset when I kept on walking! At one store Laura and Christine found a pretty decorative umbrella they liked. She originally said 120 Yuan (which was about $19). The price after about 2 seconds was 80 Yuan. I said thank you, but no. She handed me a calculator and asked me my price. I keyed in 31 Yuan. (about $5) She handed it back to me with 50 keyed in. This went on for a couple minutes, she got down to 37, and I just decided not to get them. The girls and I walked on and when we got to the next store we heard her yell "Fine, your price...." We turned around and she was so angry. She was huffing and puffing and told me that "Americans are CHEAP!" I felt so bad that I almost paid her more, but Laura told me not to. So, that was my first and last and only barter at The Silk Market! We bought 3! After that we were supposed to go on a Hutong tour. By the time we got there, it was so busy and backed up that our guide said we needed to leave or we would be late for the Acrobatic Show. So were are going to go back and do the Hutong tour tomorrow. We then went to the Acrobatic Show, which was fabulous. We got our first try at the "squatty potties!" Can I just say YUCK!!! Ew, ew, ew. Next time we will take a picture. We forgot to do that tonight. After the acrobat show, we had to look for our driver and he led us to our car. We were all running to keep up with him. There were bikes, and cars going every which way. I'm very amazed at the amount of traffic and how people drive everywhere. On sidewalks, two cars to a lane, just inches away from other cars. Pedestrians DO NOT have the right away. NEVER! We made it back to the hotel, and ventured out to find an authentic restaurant again, but didn't have any luck. We didn't want to chance being sick the rest of our trip. So it was a cheeseburger and fries. I think we are all going to cry if we can't have some decent Chinese food soon. All the restaurants around this hotel would have a sanitation rating of negative 80! Our guide doesn't stay for dinner, so this part has been a little challenging! Craig is fast asleep, and we have a very busy day tomorrow, so I better get to sleep too! This time in Beijing has been fabulous. At first I was afraid that I would be wishing away the time, wanting to get to the day we get Ava. Eventhough that is the whole reason we are here, I'm just so thankful we have had this time. I really recommend anyone who will be doing this, and that can do it, to do so. It has given us time to relax and recover from the never ending trip here. It has also given us a chance to experience the culture first hand. To smell it, breathe it (and might I say, that I'm finding it very hard to breathe. The pollution and smoke is really affecting my asthma-that I usually don't have) Having our guide explain things to us, and explain things in her own way has been priceless. We can ask her questions that you can't ask an American, or things you might not read about in a book. I will forever treasure this time in Beijing with my beautiful family of 4, before we add one more precious daughter to our family. Craig and Laura and Christine have been my world, and we are changing all that. As beautiful, and as exciting as that is---my predictable, perfect world is changing, and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I am cherishing every single second that we are experiencing now. We are so thankful to be on this journey together, and I am so thankful for the family that I have! I know little Ava will love her big sisters. She has the best examples to follow! Only 2 more sleeps at the orphanage for our girl!!!
 |
Our Hotel in Beijing
|
 |
| Outside our Hotel |
 |
| The Silk Market |
 |
| There were hundreds of little tiny shops |
 |
| Craig wanted one of these, but we were afraid we would go over our 44 lb luggage limit! |
 |
| Toys!!!! Funny tho, because all the dolls were American. |
 |
| This is the famous Umbrella that went from 120 Yuan, all the way down to 31 Yuan. That poor salesgirl was so mad!! I think I need to get tougher, because I felt horrible. |
 |
| The Acrobatic Theatre |
 |
| We had 2nd row seats. That is Craig on the end, Brett and April Furber, Me and Christine! Laura took most all the pictures, she is our photographer and does a wonderful job!! |
 |
| We had to get a picture of the photographer! haha |
 |
| The rest of the pictures are from the show! It was just so good. |
I'm enjoying following your journey (think I found your blog through FB)! Thanks for sharing your experiences :) I think we'll be staying in the same hotel when we're in Beijing. I'd love to hear what you think of it!
ReplyDelete