ShuaiShuai (shwi-shwi) had a great nights sleep. I'm sure he was so tired and stressed from his first day with us that he didn't move. He woke up happy, we got dressed, and set off for breakfast! Andrew won't get out of the stroller to sit in a chair and eat, so I just fed him while he sat in the stroller and he seemed to really like it.
After breakfast we had to meet our guide to finalize our adoption. We had to go to two different places-the notary and another place. When we got to the notary Andrew's caretakers were there (they had to be) and of course all the headway we had made, just went away. He was happy to see them and they took right over again. He sat with them instead of us.
He had to have his hand stamped for our paperwork. With Ava I remember helping her, while her caregivers stood on the other side of the room. Not the case here as you can see!
The orphanage director gave me a beautiful gift, a glass apple, representing peace. She was honestly so nice, and it was very clear she loved ShuaiShuai.
And they gave ShuaiShuai a Chinese flag so he could always remember China.
Our Adoption is final!! Dang Xiao Shuai is now Andrew Lawrence XiaoShuai Hyatt! He's happy, but that's because the JieJie that he's had all his life is holding him.
After we were done at the notary's office we had to go one other place (I just don't know exactly where-maybe the civil affairs office-not quite sure) Anyway we had to get in the van and drive there. Andrew was determined to not let go of his nannies and it was really hard to get him back in the car with us. They asked if I wanted him to ride with them but I said no....that would confuse him even more. So we got in the van and he took his seat by the window and faced the window and just watched the cars. On the way to the first place I was rubbing his back and he was letting me. But now if I touched him he would swat my hand away.
When we got to our second place, Andrew was happy again and ran right over and sat with them again. Oh my goodness, that was the longest morning ever. After another group picture, we were done, and getting ready to leave. Our guide asked if anyone had to go to the restroom and we all walked in. Andrew started walking in to go and it was a squatty potty so I walked in to help him and when I did he stopped and wouldn't go and tried to run away from me. (he had been letting me help him) I held on to his arm and he scratched and hit me. I told him no in Chinese and English and just held on to his hands, but his little nails were sharp! We went out of the bathroom and evidently that's when the caregivers had decided to leave because they were not there. So once again they disappeared. We got Andrew in to the stroller and he got by the window and started looking for cars, but also for "mama" and Jie Jie. My heart was breaking into a million pieces for him.
During this time we learned that today was supposed to be the day we visited his orphanage which was about 2 1/2 hours away. We all decided that based on the fact that Andrew was really grieving and was having a difficult time that it would be in the best interest for all of us NOT to do that. We treasure those memories from Ava's orphanage, but it was so different and she didn't care about her nannies like Andrew did. Thankfully, another adoption mom that I met through Facebook had recently visited the orphanage so I will be able to take those pictures and share with him one day. Right now we just have to focus on his healing and the future. It's sometimes healing to say goodbye, but in his case I don't think he would have wanted to leave the orphanage,
We decided that instead of going straight back to our hotel that we would find a Walmart and get another stroller so Ava could have one too and both of them could be happy. So we did---and they were HAPPY!!! And we were happy because they were happy!!! lol It's crazy to be strolling two big kids around, but in China you do what ya gotta do just to survive!!
We ventured out after we got back to the hotel and found a really good restaurant for lunch! Andrew ate great and the food was awesome. The workers were SO confused about the dynamics of our family. Just couldn't understand how I could have 2 american daughters and 2 Chinese children, why Ava spoke English and couldn't understand them and why Andrew spoke Chinese and was calling all of them "mama"! Adoption just isn't something they are familiar with!
Andrew got out of his stroller to touch the decorations!!
He was smiley after lunch, and enjoys being pushed in the stroller. If I stop he will yell at me to start walking again. He's impatient!!! But he's four!! Whenever Laura would take his picture he would put his hand up by his face and make a clicking noise like the camera. He's very smart. I don't think he's delayed at all. Our guide said he's very smart, and funny too. He talks all the time, and he's starting to mimic some things that we say.
Playing with his train. He's very creative when he plays. In fact for most of the evening he pushed around the box the train came in and used it for a dump truck. He's used to playing, and I'm so happy about that!!! For the most part he's been pretty good and gentle with Ava. He can be pretty grabby, and as far as he's concerned everything is HIS, so this is pretty tough on Ava. She's so calm and gentle, that she's just in awe of the way he makes loud noises and plays so rough with his toys!!! He's gonna help Ava be a little more tough!!
After we came home from lunch I tried to get him to take a nap, but that didn't go over very well, so I decided to just let him play quietly. Notice he took off his shoes and socks though!!! Miracle!!! We gave him a couple oreos and he loved them!!!
We got out the bubbles again, and that brought many smiles!!!
When he was playing I could sneak in some touches.
Playing together!!!
Ava had been wanting to go to the pool ever since we got to the hotel, so we decided to give it a try!!!
Andrew LOVED the water. At first he was so anxious to get in, but he kept trying to pull down his pants. So cute. I kept trying to show him he was supposed to get his bathing suit wet! After a few minutes I decided just to get his whole bathing suit wet, and he was fine.
I don't know who splashed first, but that's what we did the entire time we were at the pool. We were drenched!! We didn't plan to get our hair wet, and we snuck in without our swim caps because we were actually in the baby pool. We thought Andrew might like this better since he doesn't really like to be held. But he laughed and played for the longest time! He just splashed and splashed.
When it was time to go, I just had to lift him out kicking and yelling and scurry him to the stroller. He has a mind of his own and a very strong will. But I think that's a good thing!!
After the pool we ventured out for supper. We found another good Chinese place! Today has been our best food day!! So very happy to have some good Chinese food after pizza one night and room service (even though it was good) the next. I managed to whisk Andrew out of his stroller into a really cool high chair with a buckle and Andrew fed himself supper!! He didn't love being in that chair, but he loved eating so that was good!! One step in the right direction!! This picture is Andrew watching the water fountain. This little guy LOVES water. He was just mesmerized.
We went back to the room and let Andrew and Ava play for awhile. There were a few times when I would try to help Andrew or keep him from being rough with Ava and he would hit me or push my hand away. He's not violent, but it's something that is very upsetting to me when he does it and it's something we will have to work on. He acted like he was going to throw the train at me earlier when I was trying to get him to take a nap. He kept doing it so I just took his hand and had to pry the train away from him. When I did that he hit me. These are just the hard times. I'm just trying to take his hand and talk gently and rub his arm gentle and say the word "gentle." I'm sure it will get easier but I don't like the hitting. I don't always want to be telling him "no" so I'm just trying to see what works for him. Of course this is very stressful!!
Andrew will brush his teeth a tiny bit (for one second) by himself, but he won't let me help at all. I've barely been able to look in his mouth. He will push my hand away and yell at me. I don't know if his teeth are really bad or just a little yellow. I guess we'll work on that when we get home! I did ask about his front tooth that was missing and they said he must have fallen. They couldn't tell me for sure. There's not a tooth growing in yet though and it's not chipped, it's completely gone!
I think today had a lot of good things that happen after lunch time. This morning was again one of the hardest things ever. When Andrew had to see his caregivers again, and leave and see them again and leave--it was just so hard. I couldn't help to think that he thinks he will see them again. But he's ours now, so the healing can begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment