Today was Ava's "well check" at the doctor's today.
This was taken on the way. She was just excited to go "bye bye!" We usually take Christine to school each morning then go home, or do errands, etc. But today we went to the doctor instead.
This was taken after 5 shots. Poor baby :( Ava did great, but of course screamed like crazy when the nurse was giving the shots. Luckily I had a sucker, so the screaming was short lived.
The doctor said that Ava was perfect. She is in the 5th percentile for height and weight, but we will work on fattening her up! She has gained 2 1/2 pounds since we got her. I have contacted Gwinnett County's Early Childhood Dev., to have her accessed and see if she is eligible to receive physical therapy and speech therapy. Ava still needs to build up her strength, but she has improved so much in the month we have had her, it's just incredible. She definitely has delay, but I honestly believe it's just due to lack of stimulation and nourishment. She has changed so much since we've had her. She is surely a sweet little blessing. When we got home she got her toy stethescope and checked out my heart, then went to my back and listened to my back, and even put the stethescope under my shirt like the doctor did to her today. She remembers and mimics everything!!
Tonight we went to Christine's holiday band concert! It was really good.
Ava sat on Laura's lap the whole time and bobbed her little head to the music!
It's been a good day. Plus I got my dryer fixed. It broke last Friday, and I have been unable to do laundry since then. I have learned that laundry consumes my day, I really enjoyed not having to do it!! But, since we like to wear clean clothes, I guess my laundry vacation has come to an end!
Another really cool thing happened this evening. We have been laying down with Ava at night until she falls asleep, then we sneak out, and she sleeps through the night and is fine in the morning. Tonight I put her to bed, tucked her in, and told her I'd be right back. She didn't cry....I came back in with my computer, and sat in the rocking chair by her bed and I've been blogging, and she fell asleep a long time ago! Maybe this can be a new way to put her to bed! I think she falls asleep quicker this way. Last night when I layed down with her, she rubs my face and kisses me and wants to play. Tonight we snuggled and read books beforehand! It's just a learning process, and as soon as I think I have this figured out, she'll change!
I really praise God for how smoothly things have gone. I know adoption isn't easy, I have had a few days when I have really been upset because I felt like she was bonding with everyone but me. In fact last Monday I was really, really upset and emotional. I just couldn't understand why she wasn't letting me love her. ALL kids love me, why didn't my own child??? Well, long story short, I had a meltdown, then I just figured that God knows what He's doing, so I just decided to be thankful that at least SOMEONE (Craig, Laura and Christine) could make Ava feel safe. I reminded myself that this "wasn't about me!" I was thankful that she was so happy, and if she needed other people besides me to take care of her, then I knew I would be ok. I went to bed praying that God would show me what to do, and take away my hurt feelings. When I woke up in the morning, Ava came to me, called me Mama and let me help her all day long. She hugged and kissed me and has been a different child to me ever since I decided to let go. I am amazed. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams. I know that we will have many obstacles to overcome, but I am so thankful for my sweet, funny, loving new daughter. When God told me that if I would trust Him, that He would bring me more joy than I could ever imagine, He wasn't joking!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment