Written about the day of October 29, 2012
All the children over 2 years old from our group had to go back to the Medical Building and get their TB tests read. All the little ones in our groups were negative, so it didn't take long at all. After that we headed for Shamian Island where our guide left us to do some shopping and sightseeing. This is where the famous "White Swan" hotel is (which is being renovated) and where the medical building used to be. It's a quaint place, and now I know why people love to stay on the island. It's not an Island per se, being that you don't have to take a ferry to get to it, but there is water bordering it. There's just a different feeling there, very nice and quiet without all the hustle and bustle of being in Guangzhou. We walked around and went in some shops and had a great time. Once again, we could have spent a few more hours just walking around, but we didn't want to miss the bus and be responsible for getting our own taxi back to the Garden Hotel.
There were some really neat statues around the Island.
One of the funniest things we saw was photographers taking pictures of "models" on the sides of the road. There were several on each street corner. There were a couple people holding up a silver shade (like what you would put on your car windshield) then someone taking pictures. Notice the clothes on the ground...the model would just take off her clothes and change right there in the open. I think some of the helpers would try to cover her up, but I'm pretty sure Brett and Craig got a glimpse of her in her bra and panties. I'm not quite sure where April and I were!!! (I actually think Christine and Laura saw too.)
For lunch we went to 'Lucy's!" This was incredible! We even got cold sweet tea and we had ice!!! They brought unsweet tea, then in a little metal cup there was some honey water to add in order to sweeten the tea. Some American men who worked for the US Consulate were also eating there and they had ice in their drinks and said they drink it all the time! It didn't take much persuasion for us to get ice, we were ready for a cold drink! Plus it was huge, not a tiny juice glass like we normally got!!
Ava didn't eat this entire plate, but she ate the whole time we were there!! It was chicken fried rice, and it was GOOD!
Sweet sisters!
We saw several weddings while we were in China. Many take place in the hotels, or restaurants. I think this couple was just taking pictures. She was beautiful.
After we got back to our hotel, we decided to just play. We took Ava to a play area at our hotel and at first she was a little timid of the slide and the riding toy. But after a few minutes she was squealing with delight!
Crazy faces, but she was having fun!
After playing outside, we found another playroom inside, and what do you know.....they have the same rocking horse as the one she had at her orphanage. I think by the look on her face, you can tell how much she loves that horse!
"I can make all kinds of faces, mad faces...."
"Inquisitive faces.......Hey, I just want to make sure you are still watching me!"
"Happy faces......I'm so funny, I make my own self laugh!!!"



No comments:
Post a Comment