The Hyatt's

The Hyatt's

Saturday, May 14, 2016

8 months

8 months ago today Laura, Christine, Ava and I were in Jinan, China eagerly awaiting the meeting of our new addition to the family! We couldn't wait to hug, love and squeeze our little boy and brother. We were prepared in a lot of ways, but in most ways we just were NOT prepared for what was ahead of us. Even though we knew there would be attachment issues, and trauma issues, I think we just hoped and prayed that the love we had for this child would overrule. At least that was how I felt. But in our case, it didn't. Not immediately. But praise the Lord, 8 months later (and even much earlier than this) our little boy knows we love him and he loves us! In fact he loves EVERYONE! We are working on that, but he throws kisses to everyone he sees, and says " I wuv you!"  


 This was one of our first sights of Andrew. Clinging onto the orphanage director's hand. But gradually (after we got home) Andrew let his guard down and let us in. Things aren't perfect by any means. Andrew is still learning how to be a caring person who is part of a family unit. He is a fighter, and I'm sure at some points in his past if he hadn't have fought so hard, he might not have survived. I don't want to take that "fight" away from him, I just want him to know that WE are on his side. That we will take care of him forever. He's still very self sufficient. He NEVER cries out to me in the middle of the night if he wakes up or if there's a storm etc. He just rocks himself and eventually goes back to sleep. If I go into his room and try to comfort him, he will let me; he just doesn't initiate it.

He has changed so much though. He's snuggly, and usually always has a big smile on his face. He loves to touch my "brown hair!" He loves to play and can entertain himself. He's not very interested in writing or coloring, but he loves to sing and count, and play games on his iPad. We visited the preschool where he will attend GA Pre-K next year, and they said he seems like a typical 5 year old little boy. He has much to learn socially, but I'm sure he will catch on fast. He went to Sunday School last Sunday for the first time and he did fabulous!! Even though he needs direction (or redirection, I should say) continuously, he is very good to do what we ask without putting up a fight. A lot of times he has to have the final say and do something just "one more time before stopping (which infuriates me.......) but he's learning.  He's also learning to be polite and even has some table manners now!!! He's totally a work in progress trying to undo all of the behavior he learned the past 4 1/2 years. He's stubborn, but I'm MORE stubborn. He's young and I figure if I work really hard and teach him now with persistence what is appropriate and kind, that it will be SO worth it later!!!

Below are some recent pictures!! He loves his family and he loves to be silly. His favorite thing is to play outside, and his favorite food is "Mac -n- Cheese." We are trying to expand the foods he eats, and he's doing a great job with that!


 We celebrated Andrew's 5th birthday last week! He loves opening presents and he's very expressive and thankful no matter what he receives!!















We went to Ava's field day at school and Andrew loves to be around other kids. He's definitely ready for school!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment